Friday, November 25, 2005

Of and About Thankfulness

I went to deliver Thanksgiving baskets with school on Tuesday, and as always, it was so eye-opening. Our driver, Mrs. Swann, was telling us about one of the families we were bringing a basket to. Apparently an uncle or brother or something had been shot right around the corner from the house recently and had been found leaning up against the neighbor's house the next morning. The tragic thing is that the shooting was over $2 he owed someone. Think of it, TWO dollars!! How much do we take for granted the money we have. Mrs. Swann told us that one of the kids told her the story. What hit me so hard is that the child was totally ok with it. It was a normal occurrence to an eight year old. When I was 8, the most I worried about was my friend being mean to me and getting the best swing at recess. This kid was dealing with the violent shooting of a relative like it was nothing special. I guess it just really struck me how lucky I am to have, for the most part, a stable life. I have two parents that aren't separated, that both live in my nice warm house in a great neighborhood. I have more than enough food, my own room, a good school and church, friends, and so much more. I've heard that everyday should be a thanksgiving day, and it's so true. I guess the holiday just makes us more aware of our blessings.

1 Comments:

Blogger scarlatti said...

hmm, erika, that is freaky. i dont know how i would cope with a life like that. im glad and so thankful for the things i have. seriously, i have so much. i really do. more than i need, fo shizz. goodness, we take things for granted so easily... its sad actually. well, thats all from moi!

7:57 PM, November 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home