Saturday, November 11, 2006

Adoption Day

This past Thursday, November 9, was my adoption day. It was the day a whole bunch of years ago that my adoption from Columbia was finalized. I was about 8 weeks old when I was adopted, so no, I don't remember anything. I didn't even pick up SPANISH easily when I took it...psh, it figures:-) Anyway, I was thinking the other day about just how blessed I really am. I know someone who is 16...and pregnate. Putting myself in her place, I imagine that I would be absolutely terrified. Yes, I understand its a result of her bad decisions, and I am in NO way condoning it, but still, just stop a minute and think. One mistake and BOOM, now there's a baby coming in 4 months. She can't support herself, let alone a baby! This train of thought led me to thinking about MY birthmother. I don't know the situation surrounding my birth. I don't know how old my birthmother was, what she was like, or anything. I know her name, but that's about it. I also know something my mom and dad have taught me ever since I was old enough to understand. My birthmother loved me enough to give me up, to give me a life that she never would be able to had she kept me in Columbia. It turns out that Columbia is a pretty scary place...I sure wouldn't want to be living there right now. I hear stories about adopted kids that hate their birthmoms for giving them away, but I guess I just don't think of it like that. Today I have an incredible mom and dad who love me a ton. I have great friends, a good school to go to, and everything I need. My birthmother loved me enough to let me go, and that's something I'll always be grateful for.

7 Comments:

Blogger scarlatti said...

and we're all glad that you were adopted into a home in Grand Rapids, MI... coz that gave us the chance to get to know you. and trust me, im glad i know you...:)

8:10 AM, November 13, 2006  
Blogger Charles Jurries said...

Happy Adoption Day, Erika. It was a well-written post. And even though I've only met you a couple times in "real life," it's been lots of fun so far. :)

10:58 PM, November 13, 2006  
Blogger Eva Lemmon..? said...

Congrats! too bad about the spanish. That proves that your soul is as dutch as it gets.

7:24 PM, November 14, 2006  
Blogger Darselo said...

Feliz dia de tu Adoption!!! You understood that, right? So your Spanish is fine.

8:55 AM, November 15, 2006  
Blogger steveandjanna said...

Well said.

10:44 AM, November 20, 2006  
Blogger Erika said...

Scarlett, thanx, thats sweet.

Steve, right back atcha!!

Chuck, see ur wall wrt my dream about u.

Ev, totally true!!

Darci, thanx, I feel MUCH better!!

NL, wow, thats the nicest thing u've ever said to me!!

6:27 PM, November 20, 2006  
Blogger rahul said...

get the latest best wishes msgs happy birthday msgs, happy fathers day, happy mothers day sms, happy new year fb status etc .

GET THE LATEST GOVT JOB NOTIFICATIONS ELIGIBILITY DETAILS, AGE LIMIT, QUALIFICATION NEEDED FOR GOVT JOB .

get the latest COMPUTER LAUNCH INFORMATION AND KEYBOARD,MOUSE,PRINTERS,HEADPHONES,MONITORS,GAMING ACCESSORIES INFORMATION.

12:07 AM, July 01, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home