Thursday, November 30, 2006

To Have a "Good Time"

I'm just wondering if someone can explain to me the draw in smoking and drinking. Recent events in my life have caused me to question this. Smoking is just disgusting. I always think of this one sign I saw on the highway when I was little, "Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray". Attactive, hmm? My dad smokes a pipe and cigars, so I don't mind the smell of those. Cigarettes smoke, however, just repulses me!! It smells disgusting!!

Drinking is another thing I don't understand. Why is it fun?? Why would you want to drink to the point where you aren't thinking, you can barely walk, you aren't in ANY position to "make good choices"...it just doesn't make sense. What makes it even WORSE to me is when you are so irresponsible that you would go out and DRIVE in that condition. Drinking and driving to me is one of the most selfish, inconsiderate, and horrible things you can do. You not only put your OWN life in danger, but also the lives of everyone around you, people who are totally undeserving of such peril. Nobody else deserves to suffer from your bad decisions.

A friend of mine made a very good point when we were discussing this the other day. She was talking about smoking, but it applies to drinking, too. Chrisitie, my friend, was saying how she just couldn't understand why someone would purposely try to increase his chances of dying, when people like her brother, Doug, who has lukemia and whom I've mentioned more than once, sit in the hospital trying harder than anything to live. It just seems totally unfair. So yeah, if anyone has some insight, it would be appreciated.

4 Comments:

Blogger Darselo said...

Peer pressure, escapism, and social norms start it, addiction keeps the ball rolling.

1:43 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger steveandjanna said...

It's one thing to have a glass of wine with dinner, only wacko Baptists have a problem with this. It's another thing to get drunk. The Bible makes a very clear distinction between the two. Christ enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner, He did not get drunk. We should follow Christ's example.

4:07 PM, December 03, 2006  
Blogger The Celloist said...

Ya.

7:09 PM, January 02, 2007  
Anonymous aish said...

Very Interesting and wonderful information keep sharing this post kindly check
free youtube video download

4:59 AM, October 03, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home